Skip to main content

Hello,

I have been tasked with creating a search function using Microsoft's K2 environment along with SQL Server 2012. I have created a database and a bunch of tables in SQL Server and am now trying to create a Search form.
What I have to do is to create a search form for hospital researchers to view blood samples. I have a table called SAMPLE, which contains sampleId, location, sampletype. I also have a table called PATIENT that contains things like patientId, dateOfBirth, ethnicity, diagnosis, there is also a table called STUDY, that contains studyCode and studyDesc. Finally there is a linking table called PATIENT_SAMPLE which contains studyCode, patientId, sampleId.
What I would like to do is to create a form that allows people to search for samples based on sample information, patient information or study information.
So a scientist might want to search for "All samples where the patient is born after 01/01/2000, is of african origin and is registered on Psoriasis XA study.

I have created a search form that searches on just one table, so how would I create a search where I need to search on several tables at once. If I was writing this in PHP I would just have embedded a SQL query that combines these tables and the search would add WHERE or AND clauses to the end of the query. I was told that I might need to create a stored procedure to do this. If this is the case how would I go about doing this?

Thanks

Hi,

Could you please provide more information. Is this using K2 SmartForms? Are you using SmartObjects or just regular tables?

Regards,

Hi

I think this could also be achieved by creating a smart object that will pull data from the different tables. Within K2 we have a picker control that allows you to enter a search string which then returns search results according to filtered properties. The functionality of the Picker control is similar to the Lookup control, but the user has the ability to select multiple values and is able to search for specific values. You can look at the documention on this and see if the can work on you project. 

Regards

Nelly

The easiest way to combine tables I've found is by using strored procedures. You then expose the stored procedure through the SQL Service Service Type and create your smartobject on top of that. I find that the "smartobject association" may not be the fastest performance wise and also its a bit tedious when you are joing a lot of tables. Just a side note on the picker control option. The picker control seems to get all the data and then filter looking at the sql log, therefore if you are retruning a lot of data then it will be quite slow.