Skip to main content

I have set up the "copy to sharepoint" action to copy attachments to a different library. It works well, but some of the attachments have the same name as ones copied before. The options only let me overwrite the item, but I would like the item to  be added as a new item. .

Even adding the item manually it overwrites it.

Any  ideas?

I'm curious about this as well. I'd like to use this action to archive a document before updating it. It would be nice to append a value ( a datestamp maybe) for this purpose.

I was wondering if the item could be copy by ID as this would be unique, but can't see the option to set this up.

Hi ‌,

Here is an untested thought... What if you had an intermediary library, where the workflow would temporarily place the file, then rename it as sOriginalName_yyyyMMdd], then move the file to the final location and delete the temp file? The naming convention does not really mater but a serial date should be pretty unique and sorts well.

Sound like it could work - I will give this a go - thanks

Ok. Let us know how it works out.

@Patrick Kelligan

Ok, so what I thought I do is update the "Name" column via nintex to include the date and time hence making each new entry unique.  Unfortunately you cant update the "Name" column via Nintex. Although you can amend the Name  manually via the content type form? 

Hi Michelle,

I got a version of the name changer working. The overall d3esign is based on a UDA that Vadim Tabakman‌ demonstrated at the following link: http://www.vadimtabakman.com/nintex-workflow-get-file-extension-uda.aspx 

He explains the reason we need collection variables and the use of a collection operation as well as a video explanation of the whole process. At the end, I used an Update Item action to put together the final name. See the last screenshot to show how I built the name in the "Set Variable action.

Screenshot of Name Change Workflow

Here is the string build in the Set variable action

Let me know if you have any questions.