Skip to main content

I'm not sure how to go about accomplishing this. My scenario is this.

A user submits a request via a web form and that request sends notification to a group(easy), and creates an entry on a list in sharepoint(also easy).

Now, on that list in sharepoint there is a dropdown or checkbox doesn't matter which, that when it is checked or a certain value is selected then the process continues with another activity.

Ie. A customer makes a request for software, request is logged into a pending list, when the software arrives a dropdown is set to 'Received', the request returns to the originator so that they can request installation via a web form..  (rinse...repeat).

Maybe IPC event but I'm not sure how to set up the Sharepoint side.

I can think of an easy ways to approach this, assuming that you use K2 to create the list item. 

1. Make the event that creates the List item async. The list item will also have a column that stores the serial number of the event which can be constructed using the runtime values (ProcInstID_ActInstID).
  2. Create a simple process (with 1 activity and event) which is triggered when the List item is updated (use the K2 SharePoint Event process wizard). This will then use the serial number column of the list item to Finish the server event in the original process.

It is generally not recommended that one update a process from another, but in this case the two process share no dependencies, so there should not be any deadlocks.

If this is a concern, you can always create a custom event handler for SharePoint that will do the same thing when the Update event fires in the List.