Skip to main content

I have a web app running on Server A that calls a WCF service (K2 WCF Service) on Server B that requires impersonation/delegation to run as the calling user. If I run the web app from Server A, the app works great. If I run the app from my local PC in debug, it also works great. If I hit the app from a browser on my PC to Server A, I get the following error:

The HTTP request is unauthorized with client authentication scheme 'Ntlm'. The authentication header received from the server was 'Ntlm,Negotiate'. System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout).

I use the following code to run the service: SvcWorklist.ClientCredentials.Windows.AllowedImpersonationLevel = System.Security.Principal.TokenImpersonationLevel.Delegation; SvcWorklist.ClientCredentials.Windows.ClientCredential = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials;

I feel like I've done everything, here is a list of what I've tried:

1. Setup a SPN (including port) with by Server A App pool domain user to Server B (NETBIOS and FQDN)

1. Set the same domain user as the app pool user on Server A and B
    2. Ensure the app pool user is allowed to delegate in Active directory
    3. Ensure both servers are allowed to delegate in AD
    4. Set authentication to windows and impersonate=true in web.config on Server A
    5. Ensured Thread.CurrentPrincipal.Identity.Name has my user ID
    6. Ensured IIS is set for windows and impersonation
    7. Tried restricting the IIS configuration on server A and B to only Ntlm and/or Negotiate

Any help or ideas are truly appreciated.

Have you verified the authentication providers of the web app on server A. It should have NTLM and Negotiate.

Yes, both servers match in that regard.  I've even tried removing combinations and making them match on Ntlm or Negotiate by themselves.  I can even make the error say "The HTTP request is unauthorized with client authentication scheme 'Negotiate'. The authentication header received from the server was 'Negotiate'"    So something obviously isn't talking.

Try enabling pass thru authentication. Set DelegationContext=ClientWindows in K2HostServer.exe.config and restart the service.

I'm familiar with that one - that is set as well.

No other ideas huh?

Check AllowedImpersonationLevel and clientCredentialType settings.

K2Services.WorklistNavigationServiceClient ws = new K2Services.WorklistNavigationServiceClient();
ws.ClientCredentials.Windows.AllowedImpersonationLevel = System.Security.Principal.TokenImpersonationLevel.Delegation;

Also look at C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlWebservicesK2Servicesweb.config

Binding should specify clientCredentialType="Windows"

Try "NTLM" as well instead of Windows