Skip to main content

Greetings,

In my IPC event, If the child process completes the Main process
is also getting completed. I am just sending the data to Sub-process. Do I need to get the return value? If yes please let me know how?

Thanks,

Aman

Your question is a bit unclear. 2 questions:

• Do you want the Parent Process to wait or should it continue directly after starting the child process? If you need to wait, do you require input back from the child?
  • Is the IPC the last activity or are there subsequent activities? If there are subsequent activities, check your succeeding and line rules on the activity hosting the IPC. Changes are there's no logical route out of the activity in which case the process will automatically complete.

Greetings DC,

Answers to your questions:
  • I want the parent process to wait, there can be multiple instance of child process. The Main process should wait till all the child process instances are completed. I am not expecting any return value from child process.
Thanks,
Aman

OK, so have you checked how many slots where created and how many of the Activity datafields are actually set to Completed? To me it seems that the Activity runs out of slots before the Succeeding rule gets set to true.

How can I check the slots and datafield values? The process instance is getting complete as soon as the last activity of the child process is called.

Thanks,

Aman

I had a quick look at the article, and it actually uses the "ActivityInstanceDestStatus" Activity datafield, not "ActivityInstanceDestinstanceData" as you've specified above. Can you check that?

I did verify, Sorry for miss communication. I am making use of "ActivityInstanceDestStatus". I changed the slots. I had specified the number of slot = 1. Instead of that I set to "Create a slot for each destination". As each child process is independent. Correct me, I am wrong.

Thanks,

Aman

I just tested this, following the article you've mentioned. It works like a champ.

I have a question for you though: When you select the "Plan per slot (no dests)" option, there's no option to change the number slots. How did you manage to change the number of slots? If its directly on the activity, I would recommend reverting back to the original value.

The only way I could replicate your behaviour is changing the Succeeding Rule's Completed value to something else, so verify that you dont have any spaces or typo's in the field value.

Greeting DC,

You got it right, I did the change as you suggested. I have set "Limit the number of slots to : 1", 

Can I have more information on "Plan per slot (no dests)" ? and how setting this property makes difference?

That setting is for a particular IPC scenario where you need to start dynamic number of child processes from a parent process.

See this.

http://www.k2underground.com/blogs/fromthebench/archive/2008/10/22/using-a-repeating-xml-node-to-start-child-ipcs.aspx