Skip to main content

I am trying to use "Call web service " workflow wherein , a parent workflow is created that queries the list and then determine whether or not child workflow should be started based on filter by use option "StartWorkflowOnListItem" in SOAP editor . I want to understand the use of field " Association Data (string)" in Call web service field - since i am getting the error as below

"Failed to process response. Error returned from server: Server was unable to process request. ---> Association with name '' does not exist on list 'XYZ'. "

I have not entered any value in "Association Data " field . Please help me to understand why error is coming and what should i do.

regards

chetan

The association data is used to provide values to variables in your child workflow that are designated as "show on start form".

To provide values to the workflow using association data you must first build a string similar to the following

<Data>

<myvariablename>{referenced value or literal value}</myvariablename>

</Data>

Then in the Build String action, store this to a single line of text variable called aData. Then in the Call web service action, use this aData variable for the associated data.

BUT: you can use the Start Workflow action to do the exact same thing if you are starting a child workflow on the current item. When using the Start Workflow action, you get a drop down of available (published) workflows to choose from. If one of those workflows have variables set with "show on start form" then those variables appear in the configuration of this action to allow you to then insert a reference or literal value.

I think that the error you have is linked to the workflow name you'd like to start. By association, it means the association between the list and the workflow.

Have you populated to name of the workflow to start ?

It seems that the workflow name is not correctly populated. Maybe you have to escape some characters.

What is the same of the workflow ?

But I agree with Andrew, you should use the Start Workflow action which is easier to use and to maintain.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR QUICK SUPPORT HERE. PROBLEM IS SOLVED NOW. YOU WERE RIGHT PROBLEM WAS IN NAME OF WORKFLOW, I HAD USE SPECIAL CHARACTER “-“ IN THE NAME. AFTER THIS WORKFLOW WAS RENAMED WORKFLOW WORK AS DESIRED

REGARDS

CHETAN

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I HAVE UNDERSTOOD THE ISSUE AND PROBLEM IS NOW SOLVED

REGARDS

CHETAN