Skip to main content

We are building some custom event wizards and I was wondering if the new blackpearl releases (including 0807) will have a backward compatibility so we don't have to modify them with every single release. I guess now when the blackpearl is based on WWF/WPF the framework is much more standardized and the chance to get into the above situation is very minimal but who nows 🙂 Talking about wizards has anybody implemented an process level wizard (like the ones for Infopath and sharepoint integration). I guess that the wizard is a wizard and the development should be no different than the event one, but I'm not sure if there are classes that can be inherited (oh will I will check 🙂 ). My main question here is - do you think guys that it is possible to implement an integration wizard for something different than Infopath. I think that there are couple applications that do something similar to the Infopath and what is actually K2 doing with the infopath integration is just add some system data to the infopath one and populate it when it has the change. Do you know if K2 is doing something more specific - like injecting some code for the Submit functionallity in Infopath. I'm not talking about the complex things like the smartobject integration, but just the simple - start and execute action functionalities. I guess that there is also something special done when the activity actions are being attached to a field in the infopath form but I guess that this is more of a play with the schema/xml than anything else. I guess that also this third party application should support .NET so all the integration to happen using the K2 API behind the scenes. I just don't see another way 🙂 I'm talking about something like the old smartforms from 2003 but we all know that it is just ASP.NET with some custom controls that were doing the integration instead of the developer - here the difference is that is is normal ASP.NET (.NET) and there is no problem using the API.

I will appreciate all your comments and ideas. Also if there is K2 guy here - please confirm (of course I can not expect to now the future, but  I guess that the "internal" people know something more that us 🙂 ) that the way the custom wizards are going to be implemented will not change dramatically in the future.

I'm not aware of any fundamental changes to the wizard architecture for the upcoming 807 release.  There is a public 807 beta on the K2 portal that you can download and install if you wish to confirm your specific wizards.  Please note, that the beta version is not upgradable so you probably won't want to install it in a currently used environment.