Skip to main content

So I have a lot of places where I am setting data for a particular item. Generally there is a certain set of data from an item that I need. So my tasks end up with a lot of these:

Would it be better performance wise to do one query and set all these into variables? 

Would this reduce from three queries to 2? In the above case?  (I am aware the pictures don't line up just an example of a query setting three values vs list lookups for each value?  

Also what about in the case of ItemProperty? Is it better to do a query as above or just to use ItemProperty lookup?

It depends on what you mean by "Better".  Certainly decreasing the actions in a workflow would decrease it's overall size, so if you're concerned with the amount of space your workflows are taking, then it could be better from that perspective.  Personally, If I'm querying a list, I try to only do it once in any given workflow.  In reference to using the item properties, yes it's better to used the pre-defined item properties rather than querying for them.  That's the whole reason they are there, so you don't have to perform a query.  

Thanks, by better I meant less queries therefore less stress on the system. I am assuming if I use three list look-ups on the same table that is three queries therefore it would be better to have one query and set the values into variables.

So I think we are on the same page there. 

Thanks for the clarification of the item properties too happy.png