Skip to main content

Hi,

I have two questions:

1. What would be the best way to achieve "autocomplete" functionality using either a text box or drop down list or picker control or a custom control. How anyone achieved this or done something similar to this?

2. Have a list of 2500+ names linked to a picker control which searches fine but experiencing problems with the "transfer data" rule once the user is selected. Transfer Data rule works 100% when using a normal "Drop Down List"

Any suggestions.

Regards,
James

Regarding number 1, would be interested in any replies to number (1)

For 1, I would recommend using a Picker control. I find that it does all of the work for you when you know about a "hidden" feature. By default, it allows you to type in search criteria and it tries to resolve this when the control's focus is lost. When the data typed in the control matches an entry 100%, it resolves. The cool/hidden thing is if it doesn't match 100%, it will have the red squiggly line underneath it, clicking that will show all the items that contains the word entered. Simply select the one you want and it will resolve as expected. Then you also have the default search options of course that opens an modal.

For 2, what problems are you experiencing?

1: All these functions work nicely and works well as described. I'm looking for a autocomplete while typing. E.g. While you typing in a word Like "SharePoint" it completes the word for you based on the list you are working with. Like Bing or Google search.

2: None of the data is transferred when selecting the value in the picker control. E.g. Search for a persons name and select John, his department, phone, email and mobile values should transfer into the fields but this doesn't happen. I don't know if the control ever fires the rule as the same setup works perfectly while using the drop down list.