Skip to main content

Currently we use a lot of forms, InfoPath forms for forms libraries. Previously I was using webservices to add the Flexi-Task response directly to my forms when an approval is pending. Now that I graduated to Claims based Auth, I no longer have that option. So I'm looking for advice on how other people are handling the situation and giving users the best experience (aka less clicks and screens)

Workflow sends an email to approver.

Approver opens an email and needs to review/edit the form details before making a decision

They click the link to open the item, which opens a web browser and item view/edit.

Approver needs to go back to the email, click on the link to make an approval response.

Opens another tab or re-opens the browser and it loads the approval screen (Which is not tailored and way too many fields)

After making response they close the screen.

When I first rolled it out, 90% of the users (who are not fond of computers and want to be at a computer least as possible) mentioned that was a pain in the arse. Open one link to view it and another link to approve it.

I may go the lazy approval route so that they use one link to review/edit it, and reply to email to approve.  One less click is faster. I just wish I could find a way to make lazy approval not include the Original Text from the email.

Hi Peter,

i have taken the liberty of using your question for a blog post. Please view my answer on my blog for all the details.

How To – Show context item data in an InfoPath approval form

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Pat

Thanks.  I was thinking about that route as well just hadn't attempted it.  It's sort of the backward way of thinking of it. Instead of approval fields on the item form, you put the item fields on the approval form.

Patrick Hosch‌, just FYI the date on your post says 12/08/14. 

It's in Australian date format.

I am from Austria and based in our London office, so the date format is correct for Europe 😉 today is the 12th of August...unless I am missing something obvious :)

Sorry, used to American format and was reading it a December 8th.  My bad.

No worries mate :)

If I edit the approval form in infopath.  And I have multiple approval phases. Am I creating multiple forms or can I configure Nintex to use the same approval infopath nform.

unless you use the exact same workflow task (which you might be able to accomplish using a state machine), I can't think of a way to reuse the form in different task actions. The publishing URL in InfoPath is tied to the workflow action and I can't seem to find a way to change that easily.

Just a thought, when you create an InfoPath task form it creates a .xsn file at: [site]/NintexWorkflows/[workflowname].

You could create your first task form and configure it to the way you like it, then browse to [site]/NintexWorkflows/[workflowname] and save a copy of the .xsn file. When you create you next workflow task action you could try replacing the detail task form with your "template". Obviously you would need to respect the name of the new task form and this would probably only work for the same workflow task types.