Skip to main content

I've been working through the tutorials for K2 blackpearl with rather mixed fortunes so far.  I'm trying to finish the "Building a SharePoint Integrated Workflow" one but coming up against an error.

SharePoint shows the Workflow as "Failed on Start (retrying)".

K2 Workspace's Management Console -> Workflow Server -> Process -> Instances shows "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it", as does Workflow Server -> Error Profiles -> All.

The Application Event Log says:

pSharePointIntegrationServices:SetWFIntegrationDataFields], System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml)
   at SourceCode.Workflow.RuntimeServices.Functions.SharePointServiceFunctions.UpdateProcessInstance(ProcessInstance processInstance, String SPIntData)

I've no idea what's causing this. It seems that the error message in the management console is a generic TCP error.  The problem is I've no idea what service/port is trying to be connected to.  The blackpearl server is running.  Any ideas? Help would be most appreciated.

Don't you get more details if you run the K2 server in console mode?

Tried running it in console mode and it didn't tell me much.

It turns out the error(s) I've been having have been because mail events were trying to send email through a non-existent SMTP server.

Have you enabled K2 logging? Could you post here the lines corresponding to the timeframe of your test?
Sorry, I should have made it clearer above; the issue was that there was no SMTP server on the Virtual PC I was given.  When I installed that things progressed a little better. Thanks anyway.