Skip to main content
Hi i have a few questions i hope you can help me with.

1. K2.net links into AD. if i remove a user from AD or change a user from one group to another is K2 automatically updated? Does it sync fully with AD for user access and if it doesnt how is it possible to enable this?

2. When I am designing my forms what is the best practice for populating dropdownlists. I have reference data that is to be stored in a db. Should this information be loaded through the k2 process when it is called on page load? Or should I just access the information directly from the db and bypass k2? Or am i missing the point of k2? Similarly i want to create a list of users to dynamically create an approvers list to send a process to for appoval. Can this be loaded through k2 from AD or should this come from the k2 users table.

3. Lastly, how does K2 trace the values within a process? Where is this information stored? In the k2 db or should it be stored within a db i create? Within any process does the information reside indefinitely after the process finishes?

Regards

Niall
Hi,

Q1. K2.net links into AD. if i remove a user from AD or change a user from one group to another is K2 automatically updated? Does it sync fully with AD for user access and if it doesnt how is it possible to enable this?
A1. If you make use of Dynamic Destination Queues, K2.net and AD will be sync-ed on the next Destination Queue refresh interval (automatic or manual refresh of Dest Queues).

Q2. When I am designing my forms what is the best practice for populating dropdownlists. I have reference data that is to be stored in a db. Should this information be loaded through the k2 process when it is called on page load? Or should I just access the information directly from the db and bypass k2? Or am i missing the point of k2? Similarly i want to create a list of users to dynamically create an approvers list to send a process to for appoval. Can this be loaded through k2 from AD or should this come from the k2 users table.
A2. I would keep the reference data in separate database and only the selected value in K2.
You will have to retrieve your user list from AD using normal .NET DirectoryServices class.

Q3. Lastly, how does K2 trace the values within a process? Where is this information stored? In the k2 db or should it be stored within a db i create? Within any process does the information reside indefinitely after the process finishes?
A3. Not sure what you mean by 'trace'. Yes, the information reside indefinitely in the K2Log database after the process finishes.

Hope this helps,
Ockert
Cheers for the reply Ockert.

A3. Not sure what you mean by 'trace'. Yes, the information reside indefinitely in the K2Log database after the process finishes.

What i mean by 'trace' is when u start a process your values are stored in the k2log db. what identifier is used to tell you the values within the process. What is used to generate this identifier and when accessing it when do you look? The K2log db or do it reside in the k2 db? If it is in the k2 db is the status stored with this???

Regards

Niall
When a process instance is started, the status of this instance together with datafield- and xml values are stored (in binary format) in the K2 transaction database. A copy of this information is also stored in the K2Log database for reporting purposes. It is important to note that the K2 transaction database only contains information on ACTIVE process instances and this is the information K2.net Server interacts and works with. The K2Log database on the other hand contains data from both ACTIVE and COMPLETED process instances and is ONLY used for reporting purposes.

Hope this answers your question,
Ockert
Cheers that answers the wuestion.. Thanks for the help.

N.