Skip to main content

Symptoms

Unable to access the K2 Application area in a test list inside a subsite with the following error message:

Access Denied

To design K2 applications you must be a member of a group that has K2 Solution Designer permissions.

Error message screenshot:

12665i7C7AB8F1C736477D.jpg

Diagnoses

These permissions can be configured in K2 for SharePoint App Settings > Configure K2 Permissions (see picture below).

12391iE9C85B833E65761F.jpg

Also keep in mind that K2 Identity Cache which K2 uses to hold user permissions had default configuration according to which it holds group information for 8 hours before attempting to refresh it automatically.

Granting a user Solution Designer permissions does not take effect until the cache has been updated (default 8 hours interval expiration time) or untily you perform Synchronize Groups operation: in K2 for SharePoint App Settings > Synchronize Groups (see screenshot above).

Resolution

By running the Synchronize Groups function you can force an update of the cache and thereby have the users rights take affect.

I'm not sure this addresses the original issue. The issue was the same as I'm having now -  "Access Denied.
To design K2 applications you must be a member of a group that has K2 Solution Designer permissions." The only way I've found to fix this so far is to add the user to SharePoint Site Collection Admin group, which is a TERRIBLE solution. I need something better than this and refreshing the cache isn't going to work because no one's been added to any groups or given permissions (mainly because I can't find *WHERE* to add them!).

Agreed, I am having this issue too, my permission worked yesterday to no problem. Today it stopped working.

It only works for farm admin. Any fix for this issue

@Envirocell I've added some screenshots to this KB which may probably answer to your "refreshing the cache isn't going to work because no one's been added to any groups or given permissions (mainly because I can't find *WHERE* to add them!)" concern.

FYI - I had to run above steps at the site collection level to get rid of the error message.