Request for credentials

• 21 December 2017
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge

I hope that this post isn't too long, but I need to explain the issue as fully as possible to get to the correct answer.  Not only am I new to Nintex, I am new to SharePoint, so this is not a learning curve, it is more of a learning cliff...

I also apologize if this post is in the wrong area!

I work with the West Point Army Band.  When an event requires music to be played, we fill out a "support form."  This form is nestled inside of SharePoint and sits within a library.  I want to create a workflow that accomplishes the following actions:

Upon form submission, it sends an email to a group of people (this, I have managed to do), afterwards, I want to it to create an event in the SharePoint calendar (so that all can see).  However, I don't have static user names and passwords.  The credentials used to access the computer (and SharePoint) are linked to the Common Access Card (CAC) that is different for every person.   So, if you don't have permissions to access SharePoint, you wouldn't be able to create the event.

In a perfect world, I would have it retrieve the current user credentials, from/through ActivClient, and use those to post the event to the calendar.  I understand that I could use Constants, but I don't want anything stored. 

I have ZERO CODING experience, so if possible, explaining this in laymen's terms would be very helpful.  Any information is greatly appreciated!!

-joe

1 reply

Badge +9

Hey Joe!

Welcome to Nintex and SharePoint! I don't think you'll need to get the credentials of someone trying to create an event in SharePoint. 

Firstly, your form needs to be created with fields that capture all of the information you are trying to store in a SharePoint event calendar.

Once you have all of those fields, they can be stored inside variable which can then be used to create the event in a SharePoint list.

So, someone fills out a form, the enter their name in a PeoplePicker column, they enter the song they are requesting and hit submit.

The workflow then takes that information and stores it. Use the "Create Item" Action in Nintex workflow and under "Create item in" point to the event calendar list. Then you can add more information to it based on what the user filled out in their form.