Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tjulian
Nintex Newbie

Workflow running when modified not running when checked in

Hello,

I am working on a workflow that is triggered when a certain binary field is set to "Yes". It will then create a copy of the document in another library and delete the original, essentially making a move command.

The workflow works fine when triggered manually, but the issue comes from our versioning settings. We force people to check out documents for document integrity, but for some reason when they check the file back in, the workflow never runs. I editied a file, checked it back in, and waited an hour. Nothing. Then, I disabled the force checkout, edited a file and it ran with 5 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Workflow running when modified not running when checked in

When you look at the version and check-in/check-out settings, SharePoint restricts these as triggering events to keep the documents from kicking off workflows while the document is not in the correct state. 

One way around this would be to have the workflow update the check-in/check-out for you or you could have the user update a metadata field on the document and then have the workflow start when the item is modified upon check-in. What this does is enable your users to check-out and check-in as needed, and then set the status which triggers the workflow. 

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
tjulian
Nintex Newbie

Re: Workflow running when modified not running when checked in

@eharris04 wrote:

When you look at the version and check-in/check-out settings, SharePoint restricts these as triggering events to keep the documents from kicking off workflows while the document is not in the correct state. 

One way around this would be to have the workflow update the check-in/check-out for you or you could have the user update a metadata field on the document and then have the workflow start when the item is modified upon check-in. What this does is enable your users to check-out and check-in as needed, and then set the status which triggers the workflow. 

Let me know if this helps.

Currently, the worrkflow is designed to only trigger when a certain field is set to a certain value, which is what I think you were suggesting in the second point. I'm going to try setting it up to check-out/check-in the file, but since the workflow isn't running in the first place, I think that might not work. Will let you know.

0 Kudos