cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Workflow Performance Issue

Jump to solution

We have a workflow performance issue and workflow does not start after the pause (single workflow)

i have atatched the images  of the Performance tests document.

the size of the workflow in 470 kb

what is tha maximum number of actions  sets in workflow.. In some cases my workflow has more than 7000 action sets

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Workflow Performance Issue

Jump to solution

That's an incredible amount of actions in one single workflow. Is that same workflow export under 1MB?

Besides that, I would first refer to this documentation about continuation of workflows Workflows not continuing - Timer Service and Delays 

More from other documentation(which I have found to be true 9 of 10 times):

The number one cause of Pauses that never work during the expected time is a misconfiguration to the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Workflow Timer Service. It should ONLY be started on Web Front Ends. If in a multi-tier environment where the App server is separate, then the timer service MUST be stopped on that server. Or you will always have pauses that fail.

This is because SharePoint will always prefer to run timer jobs from the server Central Admin is on if there are no other configurations provided for that timer job. So when Workflow Timer Service runs, it seeks to have the OWSTimer.exe run the workflow from the App server if it is configured and running there. If the App server has the Workflow Timer Server not running, running on an available WFE will run as expected.

Keep in mind that Nintex Workflow uses the SharePoint Workflow engine. If these issues are occurring in Nintex Workflows, they will also occur in SharePoint Designer workflows.  Normally, a simple SharePoint Designer workflow with a Delay or Pause activity will result in the same behavior and this test can be used to demonstrate the problem if Microsoft Support is required. (or just reconfigure the services)

0 Kudos
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I had an issue recently where I was experiencing the same thing with a workflow pausing and then getting stuck.  In my scenario I saved the workflow with a new name, and then deleted the old one.  That ended up fixing the issue.  So I'm assuming the workflow got corrupted or something.  Anyhow you could give that a try also.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

We are experiencing the same issue in production 2013, 2010 workflow engine.  We created a basic test to see if it is occurring outside of Nintex.  I am forwarding this info to our admin so he can see if the env is configured correctly.

0 Kudos
kmaj
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

did you use the following nwadmin operations?:

• syncterminatedworkflows
  • purgehistorylistdata
  • purgeworkflowdata

How many items are in your history list?

• /_layouts/NintexWorkflow/ManageHistoryLists.aspx

Do you use a "Call Web Service" action after a Delay action in a multiple server farm?

kind regards,

Kai

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Kai,

we have tried with option which did not work as well

• purgehistorylistdata
  • purgeworkflowdata

there are 17000 items in the nintex workflow  history

yes workflow fails at pause

0 Kudos
kmaj
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

are you running a multiple server farm or a single server?

In a multiple server farm there could be a problem with the workflow timer service running on a application server.

kind regards,

Kai

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

it is single server farm

0 Kudos
kmaj
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

The last thing i could imagine is an issue with your timer service.

We had problems while a huge job blocks the timer service recycle.

Maybe you could check if there are timer jobs which stuck or error.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

timer service is running fine

0 Kudos