Approval Process - End other parallel Flexi Tasks, when one approves first

• 26 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

I have an approval workflow that contains a set of parallel Flexi tasks that runs 4 separate Review & approval processes in tandem. Each separate branch of the parallel action requires different outcomes based on each reviewer or approver. Separate list fields will be updated based on their outcomes.

Is there a way to terminate / end the other 3 Flexi tasks, if the approver responds first? Is there a way to set up order between all 4 “Assign Flexi Tasks”?

And still send Notifications that a task regarding this item no longer requires your response.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Unfortunately the task ids are not available to the workflow until the Flexi tasks are completed. This means that after one of the tasks is completed a query will need to be done on the task list to find the tasks. The tasks should have a unique description to make them easier to find. Once found they can be rejected using the Nintex web service.
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/sdks/sdk2013/#Reference/SOAP/NW_REF_SOAP_ProcessFlexiTaskResponse2.htm%3FTocPath%3DNintex%2520Software%2520Development%2520Kit%7CNintex%2520Workflow%25202013%2520Software%2520Development%2520Kit%7CNintex%2520Workflow%25202013%2520SDK%2520Reference%7CWeb%2520Service%2520Reference%7CService%2520operations%7C_____30
You can send out any no longer required emails as needed.
Badge +5

Can you not just use the "End Workflow" action within the appropriate branches? It will kill any outstanding tasks.

Badge +12

@ellie5225 .....Just out of curiosity.....if you don't need approvals from other approvers then why you'll assign them those tasks in first place? I mean in what circumstances you'll need approvals from other approvers? 

Also, what if other approvers responds before your first approver?

Badge +3
Yes, I agree with you on this one however the client wanted it this way.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22

@beckettj the End workflow action will kill the whole workflow not just the outstanding tasks and if you could do this how would you implement it?

What happens if there is more of the workflow to run? The workflow would just end instead.

Badge +5

If further processing is required, you could always start a different workflow (using the Start Workflow action) that contains the remainder of the process.

Badge +3

Happy Late Thanksgiving to all. I hope everyone had some time off to enjoy some time with family and friends.

Thank you to all that replied to my many questions to date. For this particular one the client agreed to accept all reviewers & approvers before proceeding within the parallel workflow. That did eliminate this headache, however I still was interested if this scenario had to play out how would it look like if I still had to finish it that way?

I agree, beckettj on starting a separate workflow to complete the remainder of the workflow as that branched off to approved, rejected or needed more discussion.

I also started thinking about the outcomes within the assign task action, is there a way to create a few actions beforehand to see if approver responded first by doing a query on the SharePoint field that would update and then cancelling the other reviewers tasks withing the assign flexi task based on the approver outcome? And do they still get the no response necessary notification within the assign flexi task or do I need to do a separate notification afterwards?

I always feel the reviewers come first and next approved although this scenario was interesting and wander how that would play out in another scenario. 

Thanks for humoring me.