Dynamic SharePoint URL, .cs file changes, Smart Object for multiple list

• 31 July 2011
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

1. How to choose dynamic SharePoint URL instead of defining in SharePointURL wizard because in my case the sharepoint URL can be change for example in same site collection i have different urls;

http://portal.site1.com/wf/
http://portal.site2.com/wf/
http://intranet.site.com/

2. The changes i m making in .cs files of my task form and redoply the workflow the changes are not reflecting even I m creating new list item and running new workflow over it.

3. Can I create smartobject of list and use same smart object in muliple list in same site and in multiple sites also.

3 replies

Badge +10

Hi,

Question 1:

You can specify the SharePoint URLs as Environment Fields for this purpose. You can define several and use the correct one in your workflow. When you need to change it you can simply change the String Table values of your process. However that will effect all the workflows making use of that field.

Another, more dynamic way would be to create a list on your main site collection which contains all the URLs and then create a SmartObject for the list. Define your URLs with some identifier which you can filter on. In your workflow, drag the URL field from the SmartObject into the SharePoint URL field and filter appropriately so that the correct URL is determined at runtime.

Question 2: Check the URL of the task which is displayed on your worklist. Determine if this is the URL of the page you have modified. If not, see if you can edit that specific page which is being referenced.

Question 3: Yes, use the Dynamic check box when creating the SmartObject.

Hope this helped!

Regards,

Badge +1

Hi Johan,

First of all thanks for you reply,

Question No: 1
Can we use Workflow Association page for specifying SharePoint URL and list name like or any meta data settings for the list. If yes, then what is the best way to do it..

Question No: 2
The changes in ascx file i can see but the changes in code behind file i cannot means the latest page i can see but if i modified the .cs file means dll changes i cannot.Now you suggesion lead me towards one more which Can the URL contains any specific version information of ascx and dll file.

But for this what i figure it out, when you deploy the process the dll of my website does not copy into C:inetpubwwwrootwssVirtualDirectories80_app_bin because SharePoint hold the dll changes, for that we have to recycle the app pool of our webapplication and then deploy

Question No: 3
I have question about SmartObject, If I create a smartobject of a particular list now I have similiar list even all fields are same data type can i use that smartobject with other list in the same site or different site or in different site collection?

Regards,
N.S

Badge +10

Hi,

Question 1:

I think you can use data fields and surface them on the association page. This approach will probably work for you. I tested this with the SharePoint URL captured as a data field, but the workflow was started in the site where I created the list item and configured the association page. You only get the screen to enter the data field value when you start a new workflow from SharePoint, but it looks like it will always stay in the site where you start the SharePoint workflow from. For other meta data the data field approach should work however.

Question 3:

I tested this with a list on the main site collection and an identically named list in a subsite and it worked. You specify the URL of the SharePoint site when the SmartObject method is called. However I don't think you can use it for lists with different names. If your lists are identical and the names are the same then you can use the dynamic SmartObject across sites.

Hope this helps!