Issues with Drop Downs

• 30 January 2017
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

I'm having 2 issues with the "choice" drop down lists.

Issue 1)

When the form loads for the end-user it's automatically selecting the final choice option.  I don't want it to automatically pick one, but leave it blank so the watermark can be seen.

Issue 2)

I have a drop down list that's pulling from lookup list.  The issue I'm having is that the items from the lookup list are not in alphabetical order in the drop down list.  It seems like it's ordering them "ID" instead.  I've played with the smart object but if I change the lookup value from ID to anything else the control ends up blank or won't load at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 reply

Badge +8

Will123w,

Issue 1) It sounds to me the if the data source for this dropdown is static that the last item on the list has been selected as default. Open the data source for the dropdown and make sure the check box to the right of each item is unchecked. 

In the properties under settings for this control make sure the option to allow empty selection is checked.

Issue 2) We create a column on the database called sort order if the data is static. We then order the data by numbering the columns in the order that we wish. We do this using 100, 200, 300, 400 and so on. This allows us to insert additional rows with ease in the future. Then on initialize we use the populate list control with data rule. We choose the list control then we configure. On the sort tab we select the Sort_Order column and we sort it by decending. 

Thanks,

Bryan Peters