Nintex Workflow + REST API + Visual Studio Online

• 10 January 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I am working on some new requests and have been asked to determine if Nintex Workflow can create work items (specifically User Stories) in Visual Studio Online.

I have been successful in my initial testing where I am using Fiddler to get work items (tasks) into VSO, but have not yet been able to do it with Nintex. I am not done yet, but wanted to know if anyone had any insight on this, or REST API, and could shed some light on what they did.

I am hoping to have more details soon to share, but wanted to start the conversation now happy.png

Nintex Workflow 2010

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I presume you've studied this then?

REST API Overview for Visual Studio Team Services and Team Foundation Server 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yes, that's was the first stop on this journey! I was able to create a task work item via the web request action in Nintex workflow so now I just need to hone in on the specifics that we want. I'm wondering about other uses that we could potentially be tapping into!

Planning on creating a blog with my findings!

Badge +7

Once you get into using web services you can get into a lot of other things, like bringing in data from another system, you can use Google Maps API to get addresses, there is lot with SharePoints REST services, I have used it mostly for when I have to cross site collections.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

YES! We are using them to answer the needs for communicating out to different systems. In this case, they want anyone internally to have the ability to request changes to an application, and then have Nintex WF create a work item is VSO and assign it to the proper support person.

I am eager to see what others have used it for as well as how this evolves with us over time happy.png