Create Item in Another Site - Required Fields Question

Badge +1

I have an existing list that is manually populated by one person when a project or program is approved.  This list contains items such as project costs, date additional forms are due, specific business categories, initiatives and sub-initiatives and there is one row per project, per year, but initially only the first year of the project is added and all others are added via workflow. 

The Category, Initiative and Sub-Initiative are all populated when this initial entry is created by the list owner and all other fields are then populated via workflow when the Project Manager fills out and submits an Infopath form.  Sometimes a project will extend into a second or third year, and this is where my question comes in.

Because the Category, Initiative and Sub-Initiative are all populated ahead of time and never surfaced to the Project Manager, I'm looking for a way to ensure that these three fields (because they are required) are populated when the additional rows for each year are added to the list via the workflow. 

Currently I have the "Create item in a another site" successfully configured and working; however, I do not know how to copy Category, Initiative and Sub-Initiative from Year 1 to subsequent years.  Is there a workflow command that I'm missing or what would be the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help provided,

Michael

2 replies

Badge +9

It is very easy if the list is in the same site. You simply record the new item ID and then you can update it.

I dont believe there is an easy way to do it in a different site:

Update an item in another site.

Badge +1

Thank you Igor, unfortunately it's not in the same site, so hopefully someone else has run across this and has a solution.

Michael