How to respond K2 activity by Outlook?

• 24 August 2011
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

I want to be able to let user respond k2 activity by Outlook ...like approve or reject  then k2 process continue do the next activity

there is the way to implement this?

thx in advance.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

There is a new feature coming soon, called SmartActions. This will do exactly what you need to do.

HTH

Vernon

Badge +3

thx Vernon, I'll be waiting this feature.

Badge +3

Could you tell me when this feature will be released?

Are there a pre-release versions available for testing? or any details about how to use SmartActions

All these information will help us a lot in team discussing...

thx again Vernon

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

I’m not sure if I’m authorized to disclose that information, unfortunately. What I can say is it will be coming soon J

Badge

I would be grateful if you could be a little more specific than soon. If we should involve K2 in a new project is heavily depending on this feature, so since you can not disclose the date, it would be nice to know if we at least could now if you are talking about this year. The more specific you can be, of course the better :)

Anything else you can add to the information you gave? I mean features, description etc.

Thank you

Badge +11

If you need this functionality sooner rather than later, it is possible today but takes a little work.

Let's say you have a client event and there are two actions the user can take:  Approve and Reject.  The user can open the item from their task list and see a web page that allows them to action the task.  Or they want to be able to action it in response to an email for those users on the go.  Create the client event as usual to handle the case where they want to open it from the task list.  In the email notification for the client event, put in enough information so the user can make a decision.  Then add hyperlinks in the email for each action the user can take and make them look nice, like "Click here to approve".  The hyperlinks will be to a web page that actions the task.  This could be the exact same page is used for the client event.  The key is, you don't actually have to show the user the page.  Using a querystring parameter & maybe a little javascript, you could have the page perform the action and then close (or display a nice message saying the task was actioned.

Just like in a standard page, the key is passing the serial number to the page. A serial number uniquely identifies each user task and is composed of the process instance id, and underscore, and the activity destination instance id.  There should be plenty of examples here on underground that explain this if you are not familiar.  Next, define on your hyperlink a query string paramter to tell what action the page should perform.  The link might look something like this:

http://mysite.company.com/TaskAction.aspx?SN={serial number}&Action=Approve

When the user clicks on the page the API code executes that will actiobn the task and either close the page or inform the user the task has been actioned.

If your users will be opening the email from a smart phone or other device that is not using Windows integrated authentication, you will either have to prompot for their userID & password or use some other mechanism to obtain their identity.

This should be pretty easy to implement if you can't wait for SmartActions.