Restoring item from recycle bin restarts workflow

Badge +7

Hi,

I have a list with an associated approval workflow.

The workflow runs when the items are created and when they are modified.

A specific item that went through the workflow was rejected. For some reason a user then deleted the item. Fortunately I was able to find the item in the recycle bin and restore it from there.

Problem: The workflow started over again - I guess Nintex sees the item as being "created".

Is there some way to validate if an item is truly created by a user, or if it was just restored from the recycle bin?

Regards

Leif

4 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

Could you test for a created date in the last 5 minutes? Or could the workflow set a value on the item that identifies that it has run then you could check that in a conditional start?

Jan

Badge +7

Hi,

That is a nice workaround. But what annoys me is that you have to make these kinds of workaround, that just adds more complexity to the workflows. In my opinion it shows a kind of immaturity in the products, that there is no "native support" for seeing difference between an item being created by the user, and an item being restored from the recycle bin :-(

Regards

Leif

Badge +7

I think this is a SharePoint issue as the same thing happens on event receivers. But you're right it would be helpful to be able to be able to tell the difference. Maybe one for User Voice? Customer Feedback for Nintex

Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I added this issue to the uservoice. You can vote for it by going to this link.