SmartForms Static List Values

• 24 March 2014
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +5

We are new to SmartForms and are creating a dropdown list. Is there an easy way to set a different display and value without using SmartObjects?

For instance, Male or Female would be displayed, but "M" or "F" would be (the selected value) sent to the database.

Alternatively, when I load from the database, M would be returned, and "Male" needs to be selected.

Thanks

2 replies

Badge +7

I would like to see this as a feature request. 

There are two ways that I know that this can be accomplished.

1) when the control is changed, and it equals a value (via condition)...change a parameter to the desired variable.  I.E. your view has a MaleFemale parameter, when the drop down is changed, you pass M or F to the parameter then use that value to CRUD the database.

11513i5DE1F059A9438E26.png

2) You add an addiontional table to your database that reflects the values your looking for something like short description (M), long description (Male).  You would use the drop down to display your long description, then use the short description to update the database (or the SmartObject Value).

Badge +5

Thanks, David. I'll give this a try.

I had thought about using a 3rd field like this, but was hoping for something more straight-forward. Anyway, I did submit a feature request: TFS 487349: [Feature Request K2SF] Ability to have alternative display
values for Drop Down List control without using Smartobject.

Thanks again.