Failed to publish workflow: Error in the application

• 4 November 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

I have edited my workflow, which I must admit is now quite sizeable due to the many features I have implemented.

I was able to save and publish the workflow fine yesterday, but after making some additions to the workflow today I am able to save the workflow but not publish it.

The error message I'm getting is:

"nintex failed to publish workflow error in the application"

...or something along those lines.

I have attached the workflow to this post, so that someone can tell me if I'm not using best practice.

I have read about breaking the workflow down into smaller parts, but I don't really know what this means or how it's achieved.

Any help would be great, I'm on a deadline!

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

This workflow seems to exceed some design considerations described here >>> Defensive Workflow Design Part 3 - Separation of Concerns

You need to try to do smaller workflows for example you can create a new workflow for the "Europe and Americas" phase and another one for "APME and Africa" phase.

Remember that you have and action to start a workflow from your current workflow.

Badge +5

Thanks Fernando.

Is it simply the number of actions that are in the workflow which is causing a problem? I appreciate that it's very large.

Regarding your suggestion to split the workflow into smaller workflows, are you suggesting that I create two new workflows that correspond with two different forms/SharePoint lists? Or, can I use the same form/SharePoint list I'm using now and link it two these two new workflows, targeting only one of them depending on criteria selected in the form (in this case, it would be 'region')?

Thanks

Badge +5

Hi Fernando - I've done a little digging and I've realised it is (very easily) possible to do what I've described above.

I'm just going to split the workflow into two different workflows as you suggested (Europe & Americas, and APME & Africa), and then start each of them depending on what region is selected in the form.

I have done this using a 'run if' function. In your view, is there a better way of achieving this? Editing the 'start when items are created/modified' options in the workflow settings, perhaps?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I had the same error and reducing the number of actions solved this issue.

Thanks Fernando!

Badge +2
  • I got the same problem while publishing the workflow, the problem occurs usually.
  • How I split the workflow into two parts? I have used the state machine action in the workflow and the workflow size is above 2Mb.

27009iA7542C1E564D4A00.png