How to set load balancer in K2 Blackpearl

• 14 December 2012
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +2

Hi,

We are in process of setting up load balancer for k2 workflow. However, I am not sure of exactly how load balancer works for workflow. I have few question

1) If a process instance is initiated by Server (say Server A), while the request is under process the server goes down. Will the Server B have all the information to take over the request and complete it based on user action ?

2) Currently we are contacting workflow server by IP address. If we have multiple workflow servers, how would we connect to them from web application without hard coding the IP address. Will workspace URL work instead IP address ?

If anybody have set up load balancer in k2, please help us by answering the above question

Thanks in Advance

3 replies

Badge +8

Answers to your questions:

1. Process states are kept in the database. When an instance needs processing, whichever server got the request will load the data from the db, do what needs to be done and save the updated data back to the db. So when a server goes down, the rest of the nodes will simply take over.
  2. I would always recommend accessing the K2 Server by name. So when you have a K2 Farm, you should always use the cluster name. Using individual server names (or worse, IPs), you bypass the whole purpose of a load balanced setup.

I would really recommend that you get in touch with a K2 consultant or partner. Setting up a K2 cluster is not difficult, but you still need the infrastructure background to support it.

Badge +2

Thanks for your reply.

On your 2nd reply, what's K2 server name. where I can look for it on K2 server. Is this the workspace url ?

We have either the Individual name or IP of the server, which we'll not be using in load balancer scenario.

Badge +8

This will be the name of the cluster you have configured. In short, a load balancer will require a virtual name and an IP, if you do not have this, you should check with the Infra team who configured the cluster.