Repeating Section and Display Data in List View

• 19 September 2019
  • 11 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

Novice to SharePoint and Nintex.  One of the main reasons we purchased Nintex was the ability to be able to create repeating sections on forms.  I was able to get our form created with the repeating section then our test group fills in the form and no data in those section are being displayed in the columns in the List View.  WHAT?  Kind of an important detail.

I did some searching here, but not sure which is the best option and some of the versions are dated and I am not sure if they will work for us. 

We are using SharePoint 2016 on premise and we have Nintex for SharePoint 2016. 

I found the article on Nintex Repeating Section Data but unfortnately we are unable to deploy unknown wsp files into our SharePoint environment so I have to cross that one of the list.  I found another one by Osama Mourad using JSLink, but the article is dated from 2016.  Is that the best option for my situation?

So can anyone point a newbie to the best option to display data from repeating sections on a Nintex form on a List view? I am not a developer so it has to be easy for me to deploy and get my project back on track.

Thank you very much!!

Devon

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Here is another post you may want to look at:
https://community.nintex.com/t5/Template-Gallery/Show-Repeating-Section-as-table-in-List-View/ta-p/85775
Badge +7

Hi, I solved this using Vidim's UDA.

http://www.vadimtabakman.com/nintex-formsworkflow-parsing-repeating-section-data.aspx

It extracts the data out of a repeating section allowing you to send it via email or update into a single column.

Badge +3
Hi Simon,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have reviewed this but I am not sure as to what I am suppose to do with the script as it doesn't include much detail on how to make this work. I created a page and added the list view and the script to the script editor. I replaced "inventory" with the name of my repeating section, but I am not seeing any changes.

Sorry I am very new to SharePoint development and Nintex. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Devon
Badge +3
Thanks for this, but this is a bit over my head as I am new to all of this.
Badge +7

No problem. First off we need to install the UDA. Download it form the link above. This is basically a core workflow with paramaters that once uploaded, becomes available as an 'action' within another workflow. It saves you redoing a complicated section. Install it using the admin section of nintex on your central admin site. Ideally at collection level.

I've attached my workflow that uses the UDA. It simply takes fields from my repeating section, loops through each row in the repeating section, adds them to a collection and then updates another field with the summarized rows.

Actions to configure in the workflow...

UDA...

Make sure your repeating section has a name in the form and it matches the textrepeatingsectionname as shown below.

4619iA7CDD933A826DD89.jpg

Query XML...

Depending on the number of fields in your repeating section, you will need to add an output for each as shown below. Simply replace the highlighted bits below with your field names. Each needs it's own variable.

4620iBBDD93E97F9ABE30.jpg

Build String...

Here we are putting the fields together for each row. In my example I'm creating a url that you can click on but you could simply have a string of fields. Ie. OutPutVariable1 : OutPutVariable2 : OutPutVariable3.

4621i24EC5BFB86D95824.jpg

Update Item

Now we update a summary field in your list. Simply replace the Linksummary field in my example with your multiple line field on your list. HTML enabled. There is also an email action that also pops out the summarized rows as well.

4622i1C7063ED3518B81B.jpg

This is how it looks from the form view....

Repeating Section..

4624iE3A1A4207589E021.jpg

Into a summarized field for that item...

4625iF9AF17628DE0C3EC.jpg

I hope that gets you close to what you're after.

Also here is a solution for extracting data from a repeating section into excel.

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Community-Blogs/Repeating-Section-How-to-Extract-and-Split-to-Excel/ba-p/77915

T.

Badge +3

T,

I greatly appreciate you trying to guide me with doing this.  Nothing like diving into the deep end.  We didn't really get this product for Workflow so I am having to catch up on that piece as well.  I managed to get the UDA installed in SharePoint and create a new workflow for my list.  When I go to configure the Output Parameters drop downs are empty.

4638i33CDF9A38FF62735.png

Not sure why?

Devon

Badge +7
Those variables come from the main workflow. If you install my example you should see them.
Badge +3
I have now imported your example and adjusted. Nothing like learning Nintex workflow on the fly. I am getting some errors when I try to publish so I will need to continue to work through those, but I do want to thank you for your time, patience and sharing your work with me. I will mark as accepted once I have it working.
Badge +12

Instead of using UDA:

1. Simply create a MLT (with plain text) column in a list. Plain text type is very important since it's going to store XML code of your repeating section
  2. On the form, connect your repeating section to MLT column you've created in step # 1. You can remove this MLT column from your views in the list.
  3. Now, create a workflow and:
    1. Use Query XML and use the MLT column from step # 1 as a XML source
    2. Use collection variable to store all the different values of your controls you've put in repeating section
    3. Use one of the collection for "For Loop" and get the index also
    4. Use collection operation for other collections using index
    5. Then using build string you can create the HTML code as per your requirement
    6. Create another MLT column for showing this HTML code, make sure it allows Rich text for this

Let me know if this works for you.

- K

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @dfox,

How would you want the information displayed in the List View? A repeating section is a complex piece of information, whereas SharePoint does not have the ability to display a complex piece of information like a repeating section. 

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +3
When I try to import your example it imports blank. I am using 2016 version. Not sure if that matters. But I very much am looking for whole workflow examples to use.