Nintex Form Pulling data from SQL

• 4 January 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +8

Hello Community,

A client of mine wants to pull employee names from a database based on a users input of the employee's ID number. The user will be entering the ID and the name of that employee should populate in a label or calculation field.  Any suggestions or examples on how this can be done? I'm trying to have them go another route with using a people picker to then get the ID but want to get this done just in case.

Thanks you,

Kevin

4 replies

Badge +5

Hi Kevin.

Are you pulling data from a custom SQL DB or SharePoint User Profile DB?

For custom SQL DB, your best bet would be to write a custom web service that takes in the employee ID as input parameter and this web service will query your sql db for the employee name and return it as result. Then in your nintex form you need to have some jquery code to call that web service when user enter an employee ID number and populates the label/calctuion field as required.

If your employee ID already exists as an custom user profile field in your SharePoint User Profile, you should be able to use REST service along with some jquery code to get the employee name by ID. Some examples can be found here:

Vardhaman Deshpande: SharePoint 2013: Get UserProfile Properties with REST AP

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi there,

What version of Nintex Forms are you running - the reason I ask is if you are using Enterprise then something like Nintex Forms Enterprise - SQL Request Control  should be of use.

-Mike

Badge +8

This is also very useful for others as an option as well.

Thank you very much Thomas Xu​ for you insight.

Badge +8

Was able to use this once updated Nintex as they had done some updating to the SQL Request Control

Thank you Mike M​ for the guide and insight.