cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jimmays86
Nintex Newbie

Is there a way to append new choices to a freetext box without clearing the existing data?

Working with SharePoint Online 365 and Nintex Workflow 365. I've created a freetext box in SharePoint 365 that populates applications selected in a multiple selection Choice column. A user checks the following choices:

Application A

Application C

Application E

The output is Option A,Option C,Option E if comma delimited via Nintex. I store this in a variable for formatting.

It is reformatted via Replace String action to look like this in a rich text Freetext box in SharePoint:

Application A: 

Application C:

Application E:

Team leads edit the freetext box to assign resources to applications so they attend an event. This is a roundabout way of getting around SharePoint 365's limit on lookup fields, because we used to have well over 12 to assign these resources to each application.

If the event's applications are edited (IE they add applications to an event later), I would like it to append to the free text field as follows:

Application A: Joe Bob

Application C: Jerry Smith

Application E: Andrea Richter

Application B:

Application D:

So it doesn't erase any data that others may have manually inputted into the text field. As it stands now, it would only append this way:

Application A: Joe Bob

Application C: Jerry Smith

Application E: Andrea Richter

Application A:

Application B:

Application C:

Application D:

Application E:

This is redundant and doesn't look good. I've created a "previous version" column to store the last saved values for the Choices column, and I am attempting to find a way to compare the two. 

Here is my question: Is there a way to compare this Choice (Previous Version) column to the newly saved Choice field to only pull out the choices that have been added so I can append them to the text field? I've been attempting to accomplish this with the "Find Substring in String" action but haven't had luck. Hope this makes sense.

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Is there a way to append new choices to a freetext box without clearing the existing data?

use regular expression action - for each newly selected application check whther it's already on the list. if not then append it.

0 Kudos