Populate Infopath with K2 users

• 20 June 2008
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hello All,

Here is what I'm trying to do:

I have an Infopath activity wich contains a drop down box and I want to populate this box with the users in K2. So that when the form is submitted the next activity's destination user is the one selected in the drop down box.

Any idea on how to do that? I don't know how to retrieve the data of all users in the drop down box.

Thanks in advance

Vigoret

3 replies

Badge +11

When you say 'with users in K2', what do you mean?  K2 gets its users from a security provider--out of the box ActiveDirectory or SQL tables.  But there are other choices.  You could maintain lists of authorized approvers in many different ways.

Let's take an example.  You could create a SharePoint list of authorized users for a particular activity.  This SharePoint list could be added as an instance of the SharePoint ServiceObject and then you could connect to it with a SmartObject.  Your SmartObject could then be added as a secondary data source to the InfoPath form connected to your drop down list.  For the desitnation in the next step you could select the XML node where the value of the drop down list is stored and use it as a destination.  All of this can be done with no code.  Plus, you have an administrative screen provided by SharePoint where authorized users can edit the list of approvers.

If you don't want to store the users in a SharePoint list, you could easily use SmartObjects to get them from somewhere else.  There is even an ActiveDirectory service that you can connect SmartObjects to pull data from there.

The good news is you have lots of options!

Badge +3

Hi DavidL,

Thanks for your quick reply. My first idea was to connect to the Active Directory directly from the infopath. But I think your idea is better with the sharepoint. I'll try to follow your lead on this.

Thanks

Badge +3

"You could create a SharePoint list of authorized users for a particular activity.  This SharePoint list could be added as an instance of the SharePoint ServiceObject and then you could connect to it with a SmartObject."

Any document, that shows us how to do this?

Vigoret