Strip out embedded attachments in msg document

• 18 August 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

I'm wondering if I can leverage a Nintex workflow to strip out embedded attachments in a .msg document once it arrives in a document library.

I know you can enable incoming email for a document library and have the library settings configured to save attachments to the root, however this only works

for msg sent the the library email address (via Outlook) not when dragging msg items or uploading them to the library in question.

Maybe calling a web service of some kind will do the trick?

Any help highly appreciated

Darren Jones

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Have a read of my blog post

Turning attachments into working, controlled documents

In here there are details on deleting attachments from list items via a web service. The same steps will apply to your msg files, as they are just list items with attachments so I think they get saved in the hidden attachments folder in the library.

Hope this helps

Badge +3

Hi Ryan,

thank you for your reply and link to your post. I've tried using the getAttachmentsCollection via the lists web service on the library where the msg reside but it fails to evoke web service because attachments field is not present (in doc library)

The other option was I created a list but the item in the list has the msg as the actual attachment so when using copy to SharePoint it copies over the actual msg as the attachment and doesn't strip out the embdded attachments in the msg.

Am I missing something

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi, yeah, I've had a closer look at this and emails keep the file embedded within them, so as far as SharePoint is concerned there is never an actual attachment saved to it, just an email with content so therefore we can't work against that attachment, certainly not easily anyway.

Badge +3

Hi Ryan,

it indeed looks this way. I think a custom event handler is the way to go.