How to retract expanded multi-line text boxes behind elements

• 14 August 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +7

I have a very large form with many multi-line text fields. Users have been adding more text than I originally intended, and are expanding the boxes to read their content before submission. However, they are expanding them and they are ending up behind other elements. So even though they can see the corner to drag it is not selectable. 

Is there away to add a retract button or something similar to the top of these boxes, or a way to verify that multi-line fields will not be behind other elements. 

I have used "bring to front" and that works, but appears to work only for that panel. If the field is expanded beyond the panel it's in it goes behind the next panel even after I used "send to back" on the panel below it.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I would check the panels to ensure "resize at runtime" is set to Yes.  That is found in the Advanced section within the control.  That way the panel can expand as the items within it expand.  

Badge +7
Thank you for your post. However, resize at runtime is set to yes on all multi-line fields, and panels.
Badge +7

Thanks again for your response. Do you have any other suggestions?

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Not anything I can think of.  Does this behavior occur in all browsers?  I know in Chrome, you can grab the multiline text box and adjust the size during run time.  When you do that, it will go behind any controls or panels that get in the way.

Badge +7
In Chrome and FireFox. In Edge the boxes can't be expanded, but most are using Chrome/FireFox so this has recently become an issue. :(

Do you know of away to possibly disable the ability to resize the boxes?
Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I do not, but I would suspect this could be addressed using javascript.  I really don't know enought JS to be able assist you in that capacity.