Problems with starting a conditional workflow when another workflow modifys the item.

• 17 November 2017
  • 1 reply

Badge +7

I have a strange problem.

Workflow-1 - I have 1 workflow that runs on creation of an item.  This workflow updates several fields.

Workflow-2 - I have another workflow that runs only on modify with a condition that the modification is done by the initiator. 

My problem is, it appears that Workflow-2 runs when Workflow-1 Modifies a field.  Is that suppose to happen?  Below is the conditional statement in workflow settings for Workflow-2.  Is this set up correctly.  Any ideas?

210833_pastedImage_1.png

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

You could always work around the issue by adding another condition into the mix.   Use a text/string status column and set the value with your first workflow or something on the form.  You could use a yes/no column, but I like the custom status string better (depending on the situation).   This way your second workflow would use two conditions, your current one, as well as the correct status to ensure it is safe for it to run.

In other words, this column could be called "ShouldRunSecondWf" for example and it could have a value of Yes or No.   Your conditional startup for the second workflow would then check this column for a value of Yes before starting.

Thanks,
Mike