K2 Service Manager - Error Profile - Invalid Archive Type

• 29 September 2005
  • 2 replies

Badge +2
I have an error with a description of 'Invalid Archive Type' Type 2 on a destination rule of an activity. The rule is used to assign a process to a particular individual. I cannot see a problem with the K2 code and identical code is used in throughout my K2 model without problems.

I was just curious to understand how/when such an error is created so I can search possible causes.

Many thanks

2 replies

Badge +11
Hi,

What version of K2.net 2003 are you using?
Clean install or upgrade? If upgrade, what was the previous version?

I have seen this error message before in K2Error.txt but NEVER in the Error Profiles. Have a look in K2Error.txt in K2.net's Bin directory - maybe there's a more descriptive error message in there.

Do you get the error consistently on that particular Destination Rule i.e. with each new process instance started? OR Did it only happen this once?

You will probably have to submit a formal support request through the portal (http://portal.k2workflow.com). I think the support consultants will need to have a look at your code and try to recreate the problem in order to troubleshoot.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +6
We've seen this condition in one other case (so far)...but the specific change that removed the error was undefined. General performance tuning and re-designing processing logic resolved the issue.

If K2 is doing a lot of SQL calls to look up information...don't do that. K2 is a WORKFLOW application, not a data manipulation/ETL package. If you have it doing data lookups, perform that prior to kicking off the process and only feed K2 the data it needs to execute the workflow.

We also enhanced performance in the workspace by changing the Platform type called in the OpenWorklistItem() method from ASP to another platform to silter the data based on the 'consumer' app of the data (this value can be user defined and specific by the consumer).

Lastly, never call K2ROM to operate on the current process instance from an event within the current process instance - attempting to use the K2ROM to operate on the current process instance from within the execution of the current process instance can result in inconsistent behavior and/or crashing of the K2 Server service.