Moving Sharepoint Document

• 8 September 2009
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

I have another very simple process. First, the user uploads a document into a SharePoint document library (before the K2 process starts). Then they start the K2 process by opening an InfoPath form. The form has a drop-down list that shows the file names of each document in the library. The user chooses the appropriate filename and then adds metadata to that item. In the "Update Document Metadata" event, I used the filename field from the InfoPath form to tell it which file to update. So far, that part of the process works beautifully. However, after the metadata is updated, I want a Move Document event to then move the file to a separate SharePoint document library. But if I use the same InfoPath field in the Move Document event, the process fails at that step and says the file does not exist. Why does the filename field work in one event but not in another? Is there any other way to tell it which SharePoint document item to move?

1 reply

Badge +2

I seem to be answering all of my own posts. But hopefully this will help someone else with the same issue.

I think the problem was that the filename was being chosen in a drop-down box on the form. I was using that field to tell K2 which item to move. It works to use the drop-down field to update the item, but it didn't work to move the item. I created a new hidden field on the form that was a plain text box and wrote a rule to copy the filename from the drop-down to the text box once it was chosen. Then I used the text box field in the Move Item event to specify which document to move. Now it works perfectly. Kind of a weird workaround, but at least it works.