Driving page flow via K2 in an ASP.NET application for a single user's session

• 19 June 2009
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I am almost 100% sure that I saw an example somewhere of how a K2 Blackpearl workflow can be used to drive page flow within a single user's session, but now can't find it.  So..to be concrete,:

- lets say I have forms A, B, and C (asp.NET application aspx pages)

- when user submits form A, I want K2 to determine whether the next screen should be B or C, and for the user to simply have that screen displayed to them.  So this is not about the user having to click on a worklist item...I want the app to be driven page to page by K2 workflow configuration.

I am not using SmartObjects, so I'd like a solution that doesn't require SmartObjects.

Any help or a pointer to the right doc/whitepaper would be appreciated.  I just can't seem to zero in on a solution.

Thanks,

-aled

2 replies

Badge +8

Just my humble opinion: K2 should not be used to drive page flow.

The Page is the UI = Client, K2 Workflow Server = Server. A K2 workflow executes independently from the UI, i.e. disconnected.

For me, page flow is not workflow.

Badge +11

Here is a blackmarket project I put out there that among other things implements this feature:

http://www.k2underground.com/k2/ProjectHome.aspx?ProjectID=12

HOWEVER, in the end, I have come to think that the way I initially implemented this was pretty inefficient and I would not encourage people to make use of this feature. 

David

PS--I have been working on some updates to this project that greatly expands the number of controls available.