Random line spaces in notification emails

• 17 February 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi all, 

I have a Workflow that essentially sends notification emails and a few tasks/reminders when there's a new event request. In all of these email notifications, there are random line spaces that are reflected in the email notification. As you can see when looking at the WF event, there are tiny line space between some of the green boxes. When the email is sent, there are extra carriage returns corresponding to those. This is very frustrating, I've literally spent days on it.

I have had limited, but nowhere near 100%, success with some of the following methods:

Changing font

Completely recreating the notification body

HTML tables

Randomly putting in lines or text or line spaces and then deleting them

Changing the line spacing in the notification body does nothing other than change the actual line height, the line returns are still present if it's adjusted.

16522i427AE0D23920CE83.png
14544i07F8A3530412A93C.png

4 replies

Badge +10

Hi Mallory,

Not sure what version of outlook you're using, but you might be able to get some insight on this by viewing the source of the email.  I did so by right clicking on the body and selecting view source.  The HTML may tell us the cause of these line breaks.

Regards,

Mike

Badge +10

Hi,

Yes this is extremely annoying and I also haven't found a way to fix it using the designer.

The main reason is that K2 injects extra Span tags where you have your designer variables and this causes havoc with formatting.

There are other options.

Have a look at the EmailTemplate inline function in the Market.

http://community.k2.com/t5/K2-blackpearl/Email-Template-Inline-Function/ba-p/933

I've reverted to that as a standard for all notifications.

With this inline function I store all my HTML outside of the workflow and it is injected during runtime into the email.

This sorts out all the formatting issues.

If you don't want to use a custom inline function, then put all of your HTML into a data field/SmartObject and concatenate/find & replace all the values necessary before the event and then simply drag that one datafield/SmartObject property into the email body.

During runtime it will convert that to HTML and there won't be any formatting problems.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

JohanL

Badge +3

Great idea! I will try to see which method works best and get back to you!

Badge +3

Somehow, what worked was installing SharePoint for K2 and then toggling between HTML and Plain Text in the email formatting window. I had tried this at least 87 times previously to no avail, but for some reason it started working. The only change I made to the system was installing the componenets for SharePoint 2013.

I never could get the EmailTemplate inline function to work at all.