How to move site from one site to another in sharepoint online using K2 workflow

• 19 September 2014
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

Hi,

I have a service instance of my online sharepoint enviornment. I need to implement an archiving scenario, where a workflow initiated from smartfrom moves a site from one site collection to another. 

Is it possible to do that in K2 Designer?

Thanks,

Tejas K. 

Paragyte Technologies

1 reply

Badge +10

Well there is no easy way to do this that I can think of, and if by SharePoint online you mean Office 365 then I don't think its possible at all.  I'm also not convinced that K2 is the best tool for trying to automate.  I wonder if it would be better to have a workflow kick off a request that goes to the SharePoint infrastructure team that then uses some SharePoint site migration tool to then move the site.  With that said if I had to do it in K2 I would try something like this.

I think you'd need to:

1.  Save the site as a template including the data (note I've experienced errors if the site contained too much data when saving as a template through the user interface in SharePoint so this whole approach may not work).  Would be some SharePoint code or powershell to automate this.

2.  Get the STP file and upload it to the other site collection templates library (also probably custom code although you might be able to use the SharePoint Documents event)

3.  Now you can use the OOTB SharePoint Sites and Workspaces wizard, and specify the template name stored in a datafield to, create the Site.

4.  Set permissions on the site.

Regards,

Tim