SmartObject Associations

• 18 June 2008
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge +2

Hi,

I have 3 smartobjects. Lets say SOa, SOab and SOb where SOab is the smartobject that creates the 'relationship' between SOa and SOb.

I will have the ID of SOa, pass it into SOab and retrieve all SOab's based on the ID. Then I will use those SOab's to get the ID's of SOb. I would then pass in that ID and retrieve each SOb smartobject. (I use the API in order to achieve the retrieving of smartobjects)

This method takes long as there are many hits to the SmartObject server.

I would like to know if there is any benefit in using SmartObject associations as opposed to what I am already doing.

And if so, how would I accomplish that?

1 reply

Badge +9

As I understand it, the purpose of SmartObjects associations is to allow tooling/code to interrogate a particular SmartObject and then know what other SmartObjects it may be related to.  Currently, the only place that I can think this really comes into play with out of box K2 tooling is in the Report Designer; If you select a SmartObject that is associated with other SmartObjects, you will have the ability pull in the associated object's data.

I don't believe associations affect performance in and of themselves (unless the tooling/code is set to load up all the associated smartobjects).  So in your case, I'm not sure that associations will change much.