K2 Platform Virtual Labs

• 16 April 2012
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

Recently, one of my friends was asking me about K2 and how to learn it. He works in an Organization where they don't use any K2software, but he has experience with Visual Studio workflows. Now he wants to learn K2 and look for better opportunities with K2. But to my knowledge, K2 doesn't provide any trial software for develoeprs like that. I believe they only give VMs sofwtare with K2 for their partner companies. I don't think they even provide Vistual labs for techs like Blackpearl or Blackpoint. I think recently they did send labs for K2 Forms beta version, but not sure about other software like blackpearl and blackpoint

So please could any one suggests how can we learn K2 with some practical labs onlline? or any trial software is available from k2 using which individual developers can try on their own VMs like Microsoft provides?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

6 replies

Badge +10

To start and get his feet wet he can use the K2 try now environment

http://www.k2.com/en/trynow.aspx

Badge +3

Thanks Chrisg for the reply.

I just looked at this link, it looks like he needs to provide the company details, but he is a developer and want to learn K2 on his own not from any company. So does he really need to provide a company details he works for?

Thanks

Badge +10

i see. I misunderstood. I thought he was potentially looking to bring k2 into his current company as well.  In the try now environment he could get access but would have to provide some contact information to get access.  At this point in time the best way to get started for someone like your friend is the K2 book. This will definitely get the the basics they need to understand K2. 

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-K2-blackpearl-Wrox-Programmer/dp/0470293055/

I am not sure of a good way to get access to the software for this purpose. But i will check into it and post back

Badge +3

Thanks again Crhis.

I really appreciate your reply. Agree, the k2 book certainly help for basic understanding. Yes please, if you see anyway of getting access to sofwtare that would be great.

I personally feel I think K2 should also have some kind of online resources (labs) where people can have their hands on it and explore more practically. I think it really helps the developers and I believe even it helps for K2 as well since their tech can have more resources in the market. Frankly, I am not expert in business matters, but just thought of sharing my personal thought here.

Anyway, thanks again Chris. Please keep me posted here when you have some good info on this.

Badge +8

Normally, K2 provides online hosted instances for training courses, and then, if required, can provide evaluation-license virtual PC environments that developers can run locally to learn more about the software. At this stage, the cost of providing a hosted, on-demand environment for developers to learn the software at their own pace is prohibitive, hence the alternative option of a virtual server environment that the developer can run locally and play with.

Of course, you could also always download one of the Microsoft virtual environments and install K2 on there, or create an account on a service like Amazon EC2, load a virtual image with the necessary prerequisites (or install eval versions of the necessary prerequisites on one of teh bare-bones images) and then install the K2 software with an evaluation license key. But, in order to get an installer for K2 and request a license key, they would still need to register with the K2 site.

Here is my suggestion: they can contact their regional K2 office and see if an evaluation DVD can be shipped to them. No promises that this will be possible without providing contact information or signing up for a K2 user account, but that's a good place to start.

Badge +3

Thanks for the detailed information. I will pass this information to my friends.