Workspace search timed out frequently

• 22 August 2008
  • 3 replies

Badge +13

"Your search has timed out, please refine your search criteria by using the
Search Scope and Search Filter."

Sometimes it returns this message within 10 seconds of hitting search.    Does anyone know where the timeout threshold is being set can be overridden?

3 replies

Badge +13

I am beginning to think that the reason it's getting that timed out is because there are too many records coming back and it could not handle the volume.    I searched for the same entire scope for abcdefg and it would come back with data not found.

However if I search a generic word like office (this is all filtering on folio field and process), then it gets a timed out.

Badge +4

Peter,

Did you manage to fix this issue. We're getting it on every second search.

Badge +13

Yes I rolled my own SQL script to archive a specific process which drastically reduced the amount to search.

I initially tried upsizing the SQL Server with a lot more memory but that yield 5% improvement and didn't get rid of timeout.   It basically scans through each text field which isn't very efficient when you have millions of records to comb through.

I also experimented (non-prod) by adding full text search to the text fields and XML field, and if contains() clause is used, it could return the search instantly... but the current Workspace search uses LIKE %searchtext%....