add attachment to document library form

• 14 August 2017
  • 5 replies

I have a document library that I want to use the Nintex form when "uploading a new document" to SharePoint so the user can input all of the document properties at that time instead of the generic screen that only lets you browse for a document. Is this possible? All the sites show how to add attachment control for a list and not a library. How do I add an attachment control to the Nintex form for a library?

5 replies

Badge +8

Hello Minnie Walker‌ – unfortunately, this is simply not possible with Nintex Forms.

Nintex Forms allow for the customization of list items in SharePoint, not the property pane for files being uploaded to document libraries.

What's your use case? You might consider instead leveraging a Nintex Workflow to take meta-data and attachments captured in a Nintex Form (hosted on a list) and store that data within another Document Library.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Like this

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Expanding on what Patrick Abel‌ has said, attachments are not treated like documents by SharePoint, they are stored inside a hidden folder within the List within another folder with the Item ID as the identifier.

- List Name

- Attachments folder (hidden)

-Item ID folder (hidden)

-Attachement

So that's where they live. But Microsoft decided these should just be stndalone objects with no ability to work on them through the standard UI or apply metadata to them.

My blog illustrates, extracting them from this location and moving them to another library along with metadata from the original list item and using webparts to hook them up in a parent/child type relationship.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do but need the steps to create workflow and library. Can you link your blog?

Badge +1

@greenawayr  could you please add the post link?