Workflow not triggering on XLSM file

• 21 May 2021
  • 1 reply

I have an excel spreadsheet in the XLSM formatting on my SharePoint site.  However, when I attempt save the document to trigger the workflow, which includes the sending of an e-mail, an e-mail is not sent.  The workflow details reflect that it was completed and shows the actions, but no e-mails.

I have a XLSX document in the same folder, and an e-mail generates with no issues.  I have also added a new XLS document and the e-mail is triggered as well.

Therefore, it appears that there is something directly with the XLSM extension on the document.

Are there any limitations with being able to use XLSM as part of my Document Library to have the workflow trigger?

1 reply

Badge +11

Hi swinquest,

is the mail you want to send via workflow supposed to include the xlsm file as attachment? Since this xlsm files are potentially harmful some mail servers might block these files. If the mail is sent fine for xls/xlsx files the issue is rather the mail server than your SharePoint. Afaik there are no SharePoint-related restrictions regardingd xlsm files.