Update KB001230 removes many of the Kerberos issues, but which ones does it leave behind

• 7 December 2010
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

So reading through the PDFs associated with the KB001230 update, it seems that Kerberos is now used far less, given that there is far less server to server traffic.

But it does not say that it has gone completely and I am curious to know what Kerberos bits still required.  Does anyone know if there is still a need for Kerberos configuration - and where?

3 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

Yes the need for Kerberos is still there.  As far as I understand the only place Kerberos does not get used anymore is from Form Services to Runtimservices as the runimtservices gets installed on the SharePoint WFE's now.  Keep in mind that current deployed processes, deployed before the update, will still use the runtimeservices located with Workspace.

Depending on where the components are installed, delegation between workspace/runtimeservices, MOSS and K2Server will still be necessary.

Regards,
Frikkie. 

Badge +5

Forgot to mention.  The Kerberos dependancy will removed in a future update, the option to use Kerberos will still be there though.

Badge +3

Thanks Frikkie.  I will keep an eye out for the next release.