Solved

Validation rule for Repeating Section Maximum Rows property

• 9 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +7

I have scoured forum for post related to this, but found nothing.  So I'm asking the question: I need to limit the max number of rows on a repeating section, based on the value of another field.  If the waste class is one of two values, the form creator can enter multiple lines in repeating section, but if the waste class is not one of these values, they should only be able to enter a single line.

Is it possible to put this validation on repeating section Maximum rows property?  If java script is required, I don't know java script at all, so please help me with detailed instructions.

icon

Best answer by efarley 22 April 2021, 14:25

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Can you provide a little mock-up screenshot or any details about what sort of control the 'Waste Class' control is? 

It would better help to create an example. 

Badge +7

@MegaJerk Thank you for your response. I had despaired of ever hearing from anyone.  The field that I wanted to perform the validation on, Waste class, is a choice field drop down list, which is outside, and above my repeating section, (so it is completed before entering values in the repeating section). The Waste class has 4 options: RCRA-haz, Non-RCRA haz, Non-haz, and Universal.  If RCRA-haz or Non-RCRA haz is selected the user can enter only 1 item in the repeating section, if Non-haz or universal is selected, they can enter multiple items.

However, I ended up abandoning this design, in favor of a tabbed form with associated panels for my line items, due to the fact that the values entered in the repeating section have to be calculated by other fields in the list, and creating a calculated field which needs to perform multiple calculations on a comma separated field with multiple items was not an option.  So, while I would still like to know, if it is possible, and how, to manipulate the repeating section maximum rows property via validation, or some other method, I no longer require this solution on this current project.  It might be a good blog post for someone.