What data exactly does the Purge Workflow Data remove?

Badge +3

I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this in documentation. We've lost some task records in a task list where workflow tasks are created, and I'm wondering if Purge Workflow Data could be the culprit.

4 replies

Badge +9

Hi Eric

Documentation of PurgeWorkflowData should give You the answer. You have to specify filters to select data.

To see what data would be purged use Query to get a preview.

Kind regards

Manfred

Badge +3

Hi, Manfred, thanks for replying.

I had read this previously, but it doesn't answer the exact question I have:  What is considered "historic data" that gets purged? Does this include old instances of the workflow itself? Does it delete tasks that were created in a SharePoint task list by workflow actions, such as the Flexi-Task? Does it include the history log data you see when you click on the Completed, Errored, or Canceled links? This is what I'm getting at; what are the actual data being erased within the criteria specified by the filters?

I'm asking because I ran this a month or so ago, and just now noticed workflow tasks are now missing, so I'm wanting to verify if tasks are in fact included in the purge.

Any insight on this specifically?

Thanks!

Eric

Badge +9

Hi Eric

You will get more details in . There is described what is affected an what are the consequences.

Kind regards

Manfred

Badge +3

Hi, Manfred--got it! This gets me closer to what I need:

No longer have viewable tasks (the task item will exist, but clicking on it will receive and error about not being able to find the ID in the database).

So, it appears that the task records themselves should still exist in the SharePoint list, but they will when open when clicked on. In this case, it would seem I should still see them, which I don't--so I'll continue to investigate and share my findings.

Thanks for the assistance!

Eric