General rules of thumb for configuring Kerberos Delegation

• 28 July 2009
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

My general rules of thumb when it comes to Kerberos delegation:

1.        Kerberos delegation should be configured for each of the following services:

a.        K2 server

b.        K2 workspace

c.         SharePoint – Sites that will interact with K2 and also your Central admin site

d.        SQL reporting services

e.        SQL server

2.        SPNs needed (you should always create SPNs for both the Fully Qualified Domain name (FQDN) and the NetBIOS name of each service:

a.        K2 server – When you run a K2 farm please remember that you will need to set the below settings for each server in the farm as well as the farm name itself (Therefore [MachineNameForServer1] can be = to [MachineNameForServer2] etc. or [FarmName]

i.                     setspn -A K2Server/[MachineNameForServer1]:5252 domainK2 Service Account mainK2 Service Account

ii.                   setspn -A K2Server/[MachineNameForServer1]:5252 domainK2 Service Account

iii.                  setspn -A K2HostServer/[MachineNameForServer1]:5555 domainK2 Service Account domainK2 Service Account

iv.                 setspn -A K2HostServer/[MachineNameForServer1]:5555 domainK2 Service Account domainK2 Service Account

b.        K2 workspace: The best implementation is to use host headers for site names. If you do want to use http://machinename:port, make sure that you don’t have multiple Application pool identities for different sites on the same IIS server and don’t include the port number in the SPN. Best way to avoid that is to use Host headers (A type or Host type DNS record and not CNAME)

i.                     setspn -A HTTP/K2WSSiteName domainK2 Workspace Site Application pool identity

ii.                   setspn -A HTTP/K2WSSiteName.FQDN domainK2 Workspace Site Application pool identity

c.         SharePoint – Sites that will interact with K2 and also your Central admin site. The best implementation is to use hostheaders for site names. If you do want to use http://machinename:port, make sure that you don’t have multiple Application pool identities for different sites on the same IIS server. Best way to avoid that is to use Hostheaders (A type or Host type DNS record and not CNAME)

i.                     setspn -A HTTP/SharePointSiteName domainSharePointSite Application pool identity

ii.                   setspn -A HTTP/SharePointSiteName.FQDN domainSharePoint Site Application pool identity

iii.                  setspn -A HTTP/SharePointCentralAdminSiteName domainSharePointCentralAdmin Application pool identity

iv.                 setspn -A HTTP/SharePointCentralAdminSiteName.FQDN domainSharePointCentralAdmin Site Application pool identity

d.        SQL reporting services:

i.                     setspn -A HTTP/SSRSSiteName domainSSRS Application pool identity

ii.                   setspn -A HTTP/SSRSSiteName.FQDN domainSSRS Site Application pool identity

e.        SQL Server – please see SQL server documentation for the correct SPN value

3.        Check your system for duplicate SPNs. This is a very important step to take. With Windows 2003 there is not any clean or easy way to check this, accept to make a dump of the SPNs in your AD structure and manually checking for duplicate values. With Windows 2008 you can run the following command to check for duplicate values: setspn –x

4.        Make sure that each the mentioned accounts above has permissions to delegate to any service (less secure, but most simple way of configuring)

5.        Set the NTAuthenticationProviders node to Negotiate,NTLM for each IIS site as noted above on each IIS server (If farming K2 workspace, SharePoint or SSRS make sure to set this on each machine where the site exists) PS. These steps only apply to IIS 6.0

6.        Change Authentication per SharePoint site in SharePoint Central Admin to allow for Negotiate

7.        Remember to always perform an IIS reset if you make any such changes to any of your sites and restart your services.

Also see “K2 blackpearl Installation Guide > Installing K2 blackpearl > Installing a distributed environment” for more help

3 replies

Badge +8

Very well explained.

I would like to add few points here.

1) Give the App pool identity runing the website(trying to connect to k2), delegation rights in the network.

2) This also applies to the computer as well (trust this computer for delegation).

Badge +8

maxpirate,

Your second point is a risky one and I would not recommend it (apart from it being unnecessary). If you trust the machine for delegation, it allows an attacker to delegate credentials as soon as the machine itself has been compromised. If you stick to only allow delegation for the service accounts (App Pool, K2, etc), the risk is a lot lower.

I've done a number of distributed installations and never needed to trust the machine accounts to delegate. Are you sure all the app pools were configured correctly?

Badge +11

Hi

you can download a video about kerberous here

http://k2underground.com/files/folders/howtok2/entry27136.aspx 

this is also a good link for kerberous resources

http://k2underground.com/blogs/howtok2/archive/2008/11/06/how-to-k2-kerberos-edition.aspx