Kick starting a process from a calendar entry.

Badge +1

Hi,

I am trying to kick start a process from a calendar entry in sharepoint. Can anyone tell how I can do that ? I can't see the calendar lists in using the K2.net Studio. Can anyone help?

Regards,

Jakes

2 replies

Badge +1

Many thanks for your reply Blake. If you dont mind, I have one more follow up question..since starting events based on Calendar listsis not possible.....is it possible to kick start a process from a specific date in a calendar (say 45 days before an event) ? Any idea on how to implement it is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jakes  

Badge +1

Hi Jake,

I had a similar problem where I needed to start off about 30 processes at the start of each financial quarter. Timkn gave me some useful suggestions which he posted here. From that I've come up with the process shown in the diagram below. Basically, it's a long running process that must be started manually (I'm doing that once off through a simple web page, but I'm told that you'll be able to start processes from an administrator console in Blackpearl).

The first thing the process does is set a process DataField I created called "ProcessStartDate", to a future date (the start of the next financial quarter). 

The key to it is that my Councils activity has a start rule which says to start the activity 1 minute after the date in that DataField. When that date is passed, it goes and gets the list from the database and then loops through them, creating a new process for each of them using an IPC Server event.

Once that's done it resets itself to the next quarter date and waits until that time expires. It's running well.

If you needed to be able to change that date from time to time from sharepoint or a web page, perhaps you could programmatically access the process and change the "ProcessStartDate" DataField to whatever the user has selected.

It's not exactly what you're after but I hope this helps.

Steve

K2process