Approval Task bug fixed then workflow published but what happens to the tasks in the old version?

• 29 August 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

hi all,

i have a list based workflow where an approval form was generating errors at the loading stage (users including me would click on approval task link either in the email or workflow task list and it results in the generic error page with garble microsoft reference).

Everything else about the workflow seemed be ok, so i guessed it was a formatting issue on the form becuase i have Full Control of the website (it was not a permissioning i guessed given i have full control of everything). After multiple editing attempts did not work, i reset the form to default, then published the form. 

new tasks submitted to this version of the workflow have been approved so the change worked but am i right in concluding the items submitted to the list before my fix are now 'stuck' (i..e they can't be approved because they flow towards the dead/broken form or can they be rescued and pushed towards the new form)? 

I expect I need to resubmit the items but if there's another solution i'd be grateful to know. I have searched most of today trying to find a comparable example but could not see the same situation.

thanks

john

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

If you do not want to terminate the workflows and start them again you could use a workflow that calls the Nintex web service to approve the task.
It is much easier than it sounds.
Here is the SDK for processing FlexiTask's: https://help.nintex.com/en-US/sdks/sdk2013/#Reference/SOAP/NW_REF_SOAP_ProcessFlexiTaskResponse2.htm%3FTocPath%3DNintex%2520Software%2520Development%2520Kit%7CNintex%2520Workflow%25202013%2520Software%2520Development%2520Kit%7CNintex%2520Workflow%25202013%2520SDK%2520Reference%7CWeb%2520Service%2520Reference%7CService%2520operations%7C_____30
Badge +4
Thanks @SimonMuntz, I will give this a try and see if it moves the workflow on to the next stage.