Customize K2 email body

• 30 October 2014
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

Hi All,

I would like to present K2 SmartObject list data in a table format in an email event. And we would like to implement this with zero code.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ramesh Paladi

2 replies

Badge +10

Hi K2-Underground,

I've been thinking about this for about an hour now, and my prelimenary conclusion is that depending on your definition of "code", this is easily possible.

Essentially, you'd create an HTML table inside the body of the email, and then drag and drop the content needed into each field.  This approach depends on the data being in a fixed format and can be displayed by a fixed format table (ex.  Data always appears in a table of exactly 4 columns with 3 rows)  You may have to get creative on the formatting side in order to get consistency in the length and width of each cell of the table, so that it can accomodate all data to be displayed.

Since HTML is technically "markup" as opposed to code, it sort of, kind of, in a way fits your requirement of no code.  If you do consider it code, it would be rather minimal code.

That said, perhaps providing a link to a smartform list view might be a better solution, but again, that slightly defeats the purpose of having the table displayed in an email.

I will continue to ponder this throughout the day, and will let you know if I come up with anything else.

Regards,

Mike

Badge +7

I want to add to Mike's note that I've seen that particular solution work for other customers. 

However, note that inserting an HTML table into the an email event on your workflow while dragging and dropping the context has caused some view discrepancies in OWA vs. Outlook 2013 for customers. It doesn't always render the same. For example, when you are typing HTML into the email editor in the designer and hit 'Enter' to go to the next line or whatnot, OWA sometimes will translate that 'Enter' as a <br> and therefore adds extra spacing when you view the email in OWA. It's not hard to fix this though. So yeah, as Mike wrote, you'd have to be creative in the formatting for consistency.

If you do not get a sufficient response from anyone here that works for you, you can always log a ticket for a feature request as well.